Saturday, June 4, 2011

040611,

Oke, it’s a little bit of a while since I’ve been in touch and feels like I’ve been somewhat out of touch. It’s all been going well, just tonight I had a potentially almost disastrous moment…  I do believe God was my only protection.  I got home from teaching all day. I find that to be quite an exhausting day normally… Anyway, all I wanted to do is to get my long awaited spinach (that I got from Mthatha – 2hrs drive away- halfway from Port St Johns) in the pot and get into bed with my laptop and some chill time.

As it happened, I went to wash my spinach at the ‘public’ basin, which in turn happens to be right next to one of the self-catering cottages.  There was a small family – a father and 2 young boys making a fire.  Being the person I am, I started light chit-chat with them to avoid the awkwardness. Just asked them where they’re from and told them to enjoy the crayfish when I left.  Not long after, the dad came sort of over to my caravan’s direction and apologised for his rudeness, which I was surprised about cause I didn’t really find him to have been rude. 

Anyway, so he invited me over for a chop and a beer, which I really wanted to refuse, cause all I wanted was my spinach and to be honest, I was less than sure if he looked like the kind of guy with pure intentions.  He was quite insistent though, even promised that he didn’t have any intentions other than looking for some conversation, cause he was alone with the boys.  I accepted the offer of a small glass of beer and thought, well fine, but I’ll be careful.  So, he was nice and seemed good to his boys.  He kept on offering me to join their little braai and eventually I thought well fine, so I took my spinach over and cooked it on his stove.  He kept on refilling my beer glass and gave me some meat and crayfish, which I tried hard to resist without becoming rude.  It sounded like he had a tough life, he’s been working away from East London for the past 2 years, went home some time and found his wife left him for another man, so he’s pretty broken and sad and only happy to have the boys in his life.   I tried to share a bit of my life without becoming flirty.  He seemed pretty lonely and thankful for company.  Eventually as he continued to top up my glass after I’ve politely refused, I poured the last topup back into his glass, thanked him for his generosity and said goodnight.  He wanted me to stay longer and when I said no, he asked if he could follow me, to which I replied quite firmly I thought: “Please, don’t.” and walked off. Apparently he didn't understood. I had to go to the toilet which is also pretty much next to his cottage (nr 1) and heard him say to his boys that he would be right back…so I thought, shit he is actually going to follow me. 

So, as I got to my tent, I saw him coming around the corner.  It was pretty dark and I wasn’t sure if it was him, I was hoping it’s the night security guy, Richard.  So, I said hi, and yes, truly it was him– not the security guard.

Anyway, so I asked him what he was doing here, and I don’t even really know what he answered, but he said something about that he’d followed me.  So I said, why, I told you not to.  So he said something like, well I’m here now and I told him, well just turn around and go back.  And he said, just give me a small kiss, and I just kept on insisting seriously that he should just go straight back where he came from.

  It was one of those moments that the hair on your back almost stands up straight and you know that if this guy is a fool, this situation is going to get out of hand in an ugly way within seconds.  Thank God, he must’ve seen that I was a serious person and he just reached out his hand for a sort of friendly shake, which I accepted to show that he could be forgiven if he doesn’t take advantage of that gesture as well.  And he left and said thank you.  So I thank God for protecting me and saving me from a potentially very wrong experience that I certainly don’t need in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment