Friday, June 17, 2011

7:38pm, still Friday, still no water

Just got in bed, happy and satisfied after a strange, yet satisfying day.  Strange, because well, as I woke up this morning I was very curious to find out what’s happening with our water situation, so as I went to the toilet, the ladies who work at the camp, were busy with buckets of water that came from the river.  They had to refill after / or before each flush.  We didn’t go to the toilet very often today and it seems that somehow a system is being managed that doesn’t work too bad.  We could possibly survive this long weekend.  I just hope it doesn’t carry on too long.  I’ll still be here after the weekend.  But I guess, us humans can get used to anything? Or we'll have to see.

So, us 3 campers were not really ready to face the day this morning.  In the light of the day, did we only realize how little we could do without water, when we saw the dirty dishes of our feast last night,  (It wasn’t that bad, just a question of how to deal with it.)  Plus, really wanting to shower and wash my hair after another night sweat attack (I think the flu might be slowly coming out of my system).

Ilse and Steve came to say goodbye this morning, I hope at least my teeth were brushed!  (No, I’m kidding, I have gained some experience in washing with very little resources – as in water).  Your basic bucket and cloth system works not too bad, even with very little water.

We had some coffee and Ouma rusks (well, I had tea), then me and Donovan and Jessica hit the road for a little walk to the Bomvu river and followed a path that runs along it.  We played with the cameras a bit, but it was too early for really nice lighting.  On the way back, I talked him into just a quick look at my favourite abandoned hut on the hill with the beautiful view of the long golden grass and the tree that I like.

There’s a little pig sleeping inside the hut.  And the view is still as beautiful as I thought it was.  On the way back, Jessica started limping, looks like she has a little cut on her foot cushion.  Such a brave dog.  She’s wearing a bandage now.  I hope tomorrow she’ll be in tip top shape again. 

We got hungry and went home to make braaibroodjies (cheese / tomato /onion / chutney - toasties on the fire) again and potatoes and warm up some leftover meat from last night.  Great, wonderful.  God is so good.  I can get into bed now, warm, relatively clean and happy.  I hope Ilse and Steve are safe back in PE by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment