Thursday, June 23, 2011

230611, Thursday, cloudy

Spent most of the day with my bead friends an had a lot of fun.  I really love these women. I've only recently noticed that there isn't really any R sounds in Xhosa, which means when they use English words with an R, they pronounce it much like the Japanese people do, with an L.  So, they would often refer to my camela when I'm taking pictures.  And today I was taking more pictures than usual, with the overcast weather, they all just looked so beautiful today.  Of course most of them are quite camera shy, but in the end today, they were all having fun and taking turns folding a towel the traditional way, to wear on their heads.  

On the way back home, one of the ladies walked with me on her way to the hair 'saloon'.  Apparently they have to 'marinade' their hair to get it soft.  Anyway, we bumped into her mother and father and they let me take pictures of them after a short conversation in Xhosa.

I'm so glad I'm getting to the point where I can actually attempt short conversations, otherwise I don't think these people would be bothered with me wanting to meet them.  All they want is R5, but I bought a belt from one of the bead ladies the other day for R25o, so my charity budget for the month is a bit short and I mostly go around without any money on me.  It definitely makes things more interesting. 

It's 7:30 now, it just started raining a little while ago and I'm already so tired, I could go to sleep right now.  I might just do that...

No comments:

Post a Comment