Tuesday, May 31, 2011

310511, Tuesday morning

a little bit windy and unpleasant outside.

With Donovan gone, I could set up the little table on the one side of the caravan (it functioned as his bed before) and now this is my handy ‘office space’, so this morning I’m doing a bit of office work.  It’s got a nice view of the little brightly painted in green, orange and purple rondavels of the River lodge where I’m staying.  Patches (the black & white kitty) is lying curled up on my bed and Hillsong is playing on my ipod and little speakers that never really came in so super handy up until now.

It feels like the real test of my stay here is only starting now.  Most of the initial excitement is now gone, I’m not staying anymore in the hub of the town where all the action is going down (which is sad because I might be missing out and potentially become lonely, but good, because I’m out of the holiday/party vibe and out of temptation’s way – that area is well known for much underhand activities going on there, after all, magic mushrooms and dagga grows wild in the Transkei!)

So now, with Donovan also gone, I’m forced to recollect my thoughts and look around me as to why I’m here in the first place. 

Yesterday, on the way to Ngcwanuba, I gave 2 schoolkids a lift, they were both in matric and the boy told me about his dreams for the future.  He really wants to become a teacher and wants to go study at University next year.  I realized quickly that these kids have no idea how to apply for a course at University or elsewhere and neither do they have the means to apply. And if they apply too late, they simply won’t get in and have to wait another year. 

They have no electricity at home and probably not at school either.  Which means they have no internet and don’t even have the faintest clue how to use a computer.  These days, to be able to apply for something, internet is kind of a necessity.  Even just to look for the right institute to apply to.  I know, for that other kid I helped in my first week here, we had to print out the pages for his application, he had to complete it and then we had to scan and email it.  Dawn, the lady from the Montessori school, luckily had such a printer that could also scan, but it was still a bit of a mission.

It looks like a real need over here and a project that needs to be considered by all willing to contribute something.  It looks like we need a group of people with a couple of laptops with mobile internet and a printer/scanner to go around to these schools and spend a day or 2, helping children to find the right place to apply to, get the forms printed for them and get it emailed before the closing date as well as making sure they have all the other necessary documents like registered ID copy and exam results.

Ultimately, there is a big need for computers and internet for all the schools and people that can give the basic training.  I’m not sure how one goes about organizing such a project…anyone with ideas, please comment! 

No comments:

Post a Comment