Friday, June 17, 2011

170611, Friday, no water

Can’t believe it’s Friday already.  I guess a lot has happened, but then again, not really that much.  I’ve been sick, flu I guess.  Ilse and Steve has been here, although I didn’t really see that much of them.  On Tuesday I had a nice day, spent a lot of time with Snooks and Fika, they also joined my little class and kept themselves cosy on the couch, causing the more than occasional disruption, but it was nice to have them there anyway.  Next time I must remember to take some crayons and paper for them.  The other guys all enjoyed their class very much, they read about Leonardo da Vinci and his inventions (I’ve got a couple of 2nd hand TEFL course books that one of my Cape Town students collected for me from the residences- they’re coming in very handy now for these small classes)

Donovan and another friend Brevan also arrived here on Wednesday, a bit sooner than expected, so all of a sudden I had almost too many friends here at the same time!  But it’s been a good couple of days, we haven’t done that much, a good thing, cause I just feel like lying low really.  This flu has tapped a bit of my energy. 

The wind has been a bit wild on this side over the last few days.  We constantly have to keep an eye on all the tent poles and the guys have had to shift around their little tents to try and protect it from the wind.

Yesterday, Ilse and Steve came over with some crayfish and Donovan got the fire started, so we had a feast of lots of meat, potato salad, tomatoe/avo/onion/and crayfish salad and braaibroodjies.  We watched the moon rise (It was full moon the night before and we saw a lunar eclipse- amazing sight- you could see the moon in 3D!) and dodged the wind. 

At around the same time, the electricity of the entire campsite went out and the water got cut off.  It was still kind of okay functioning in the dark, trying to prepare food. Outside, the light of the moon helped a bit.  That was last night.  In the meanwhile, the electricity went back on.  But as I’m writing, there is no immediate hope for the water to come back on anytime soon.  Apparently a water pipe has broken at Mthatha River mouth.  So, now we can’t shower, can’t flush the toilet, can’t wash the dishes and it’s all feeling a bit on the dry side.  I wish I had a bigger tank to catch that rainwater last week.  I really hope the water gets back on again soon.  I could go and wash in the sea, but am not really feeling it with this flu.  We’ll have to go buy some water to drink…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment