Monday, June 27, 2011

270611, Monday


At last the wind died down a little.  Hopefully completely now.  It’s evening, The Cure remixed playing, got the soup cooking with some bacon.  It smells good. 

Onlyt did some admin stuff this morning before I went over to the other side.  Found little Snooks who was keen on drawing pictures again.  I drew her a butterfly and a hut which she coloured.  Fika was playing somewhere with Josh, so had Snooks on her own together with 17year old Ninti.  My newest student whom I’m teaching the alphabet to. 

It’s a bit of a challenge I must say.  His English is also practically non-existent, so I’m not exactly sure how to handle this.  But, we’re taking it each day at a time and for now he’s practicing shaping the letters whilst also practicing to recognize each one.  It’s amazing how much we take for granted, being taught from early ages how to write.  I must be very firm with him in exactly how he forms the letters.  As in, literally draw arrows from where he should start the line and in which direction he should be going.  I’m a definite believer in getting the foundations right.  Snooks is still possibly on a higher level of knowing the alphabet than him.  But he’s a keen worker and I have hope that he’ll have a steady progress. 

The other guys officially have holiday time now as well, so they’re taking that quite seriously.  Lukholo proudly showed me his report, he did better in English this term than before.  I hope he continues to improve, he’s a bright boy, as is Moses.

Snooks was mostly sitting on my lap, eating raisins and trying to distract me in any way from giving attention to Ninti.  We are sharing a ringworm infection now.  Great.  (I still don’t understand why doctors haven’t discovered an oral remedy for this problem- and if they have they should be more generous in sharing it) We had a good time though.  In the last 20minutes or so, I read her a couple of stories from the little ‘Aesop’s Fables’ book I got.  We laughed so much at the pictures of the people’s facial expressions and the way they were dressed.

On my way home I gave a woman a lift to my side of town.  I knew she was going further, so I reckoned I’ll just take her up the enormous hill leading out of town.  On the way up, I recognized one of the elder beading mamas and picked her up as well.  It turned out that both ladies were going quite a bit further and I took them as far as the road could take us.  They live in fact somewhere in the hills where there isn’t actually any road going.  I can’t believe these ladies have to walk this far everyday and most of it in the dark!

Mmmmm this soup is not bad.  I put in too many chillies last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment