Wednesday, May 25, 2011

250511, The great trek

Oke, it’s been a while since I had the time to write.  Kind of a lot has happened!  Of course, by now you would’ve guessed, my caravan is here!!!

Donovan drove almost through the night and arrived on Sunday morning at about 10.  We immediately started putting up the tent, which was the first time putting up this tent and we had to figure out some stuff, but it went quite smoothly. 

We hardly had the tent up when 3 half-dressed Bangladeshi guys gathered themselves and their bottle of brandy on the camping spot right next to ours – while there was a huge stretch of space further that they could use.  Well, I guess they were quite drunk and it didn’t take them long to invite themselves over and make themselves (and the brandy) at home right on our ‘stoep’, inviting us to share their brandy.  Well, being a Sunday morning and all, we didn’t really feel like accepting and well, I was also still busy trying to unpack and get some order.  So Donovan tried to keep a decent company and not be rude to the guys, while they were basically shouting at each other and ‘talking over the phone’ but more like screaming into the phone as if having an argument or something.  Very strange.  The one guy even went for a piss in the river, right in front of me.  I’ve never met such a rude and disrespectful culture. (In fact I can’t believe that such a disrespectful culture exists, so I suspect they acted like this on purpose to drive us out of the campsite) It turned out that they actually live on the campsite and run some shops around the area.  And there are more of them.

They then continued their screaming and shouting and luckily moved a few metres off.  So, I picked up their now empty bottle and their shoes that they left in front of my tent and took it over to them.  Thank God they didn’t come back.  But, later when I wanted to take a shower I met 2 of them in the bathroom and I knew that I couldn’t stay there.  Especially not when Donovan leaves.  Such a pity, because it’s really a beautiful camping spot right next to the river.

I was so thankful for my first nights’ sleep in my caravan, a gigantic improvement to my previous 2 weeks painful sleep on a bad bed and the hard floor.  But no relief from my cold showers yet!  I was so looking forward to that.  And the showers were really bad, like absolutely nothing to hang your clothes or towel on and the floors are completely wet, and of course my warm top had to drop on the floor and get all drenched!  There is a new bathroom though, just a bit of a further walk, but much neater and with a gas geyser that unfortunately didn’t work either…  But at least no Bangladeshis in this shower!  

There was a very friendly night guard and 2 self-employed dogs that became our watchdogs.

Anyway, we went to check out another campsite just a little further.  It’s not that pretty all next to the river, but definitely safer and the bathrooms are also much friendlier.  So, yesterday morning we packed up the tent again and moved.  Bit of a mission, but we’re becoming more experienced campers now!  And I’m so thankful for Donovan being here, cause I actually need quite a lot of help with all sorts of things that you need a real man for!  We survived the first rain on the tent last night!

Oke, lots more to be told, but watch this space (I need to go for a shower now and start this day), this story will continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment