Wednesday, May 25, 2011

250511, 21:33 “Closed means Knock”

In the Transkei, I’ve discovered one of the unwritten rules today.  It’s really not so much a rule as a friendly suggestion.  Basically, if you see a closed door, of a toilet maybe, rather knock just to make sure.  Cause you think you might be the only person there, but maybe you’re not.  And the doors here don’t necessarily have locks on them.  Depends where you stay I suppose.  But I can thankfully say that the place where I’m staying now, I really don’t feel like I need a lock for anything.  That’s a good feeling.  I certainly don’t miss my city window bars tonight.

Right now I’m amazingly thankful for the extra blankets my family packed into my caravan.  Pretty chilly tonight, sitting in bed, snug with hoodie and red woollen mittens my mom gave me some time ago. 

So much to say, I really hope I can remember everything.  It’s so difficult to try and explain to people who don’t know this experience.  I just chatted to my flatmate from Cape Town and she must think I’m mad, I couldn’t stop babbling.  It was the first phone call to a friend since I left and it feels like another one of ‘Survivors’  special prizes!  I’ve had a couple of those in the last few days.

The fact that Donovan is here surely contributed.  He’s fixed just about everything here that needs fixing, from my gas bottles, my washing line, my tent zipper, my tent pegs, my fire, he brought delicious meat for the braai, I can’t name it all and probably the most fun gift was a bucket of HOT water 2 nights ago when I couldn’t face the cold shower.  I had the most fun splashing in that bucket, from my face, my feet to shaving my legs.  Sho, the small things!  God is SO GOOD!

Another amazing thing that happened today, my one young friend Michael took me to his village to drop off some Xhosa Bibles at the church.  It was quite late so I couldn’t spend much time, but everyone I met were so friendly and really made me feel welcome.  They just wanted to show me everything and they were so proud and excited.  I definitely want to go back and also visit their church on a Sunday.  Maybe not this week, I might go to Port St. Johns to say hi to my good friend André who's going to be shooting a documentary or something.

To be continued..

No comments:

Post a Comment