Monday, May 9, 2011

Just arrived...

I arrived last night (to Coffee Bay)  after a long, long drive in the rain (it basically rained since I left Cape Town on Tuesday all the way till last night -Sunday)  
It's been a crazy day of culture shock and trying to adapt to my new surroundings where it's quite uncertain how long I'll actually stay.  This community is seriously poor, even though there is still a divide between black and white -the latter of course, still being relatively richer.  My first feeling was of selfishness- (myself), like I really just thought of myself when I was packing my stuff.  I really have so much more than the people around me.
The people here are intense, everything and everybody are very tightly knit.  You quickly get the feeling that you are going to deal with a community of politics and that some people you can trust, but not everyone.  And nothing's for mahala! 

Except maybe the views... I walked to Hole in the Wall today (3hrs 1way) and it was beautiful, however exhausting.  The way back was awesome (through hills and valleys of the local villages)

There's so much more to say, but for now that's going into my diary.....
Photos will follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment