Thursday, May 12, 2011

Day 4




I'm starting to feel settled in, sort of got my new little routines going, like when do I shower or where (I know that sounds arb, but it's quite interesting because the bathroom next to me doesn't have hot water, so I have to go into the house and use a kind of private shower-which isn't really that private cause nothing here really is- I'm talking in riddles aren't I?)  I guess you'll have to come here to really understand.  

The kitchen is also interesting, cause you can't leave anything there, it'll get taken, like I keep all my food in my room and my special knife and my cloth and dishwashing liquid etc.  I guess it's a little like camping. You have to plan ahead.
 
I'm renting a room outside a house where I'm not sure how many people actually live, it seems almost like a backpackers.  The place is also right opposite Jah Drum and Bomvu Backpackers and the River trading store, which actually sells bread.  I have yet to go in there and see what else they sell... Coffee Shack is also just a few meters down the road.  I'm hearing the drumming at Bomvu right now, every night at about this time...
My room is a rectangular shape, part built of stone and part wood, wit a tin roof, kind of like a shack.  It's a bit damp in here, but that seems to be the norm in this place.  

This morning I helped a boy who wrote matric last year and wants to apply for a bursary to study mining engineering.  We had to print the papers so that he can complete it before we send it off.  I'm glad I brought my printer.  

Then, I went to Zithulele again to chat with Craig and Michelle and I went with Michelle to one of the schools where she gives extra maths classes.  It was quite interesting.  Firstly, the drive was, 12km on a very bad road, it took us almost 30minutes to drive.  And the school itself was quite shocking.  300 students in a small 3 room school.  The children share broken chairs and a desk between about 3 people.  The principal also made us wait for about 20 minutes for no apparent reason (he just stood outside talking to other teachers and the kids were all sneaking out of their classes!  Can't blame them, their school time was supposed to be out, but they're not allowed to leave until someone rings the bell!)  Anyway, a lot needs to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment