Thursday, May 19, 2011

190511, Mqanduli

Spent most of today driving to and back from Mqanduli with Silas, Sarah and little Capri, sorry no photos today!  I do regret not taking my camera though, it would’ve been good to get a shot of the guy who helped me transfer the packages of Bibles from the Post Office to my car in his wheelbarrow! My car was quite heavy after that, but I’m thankful that finally the Bibles are here.  Blessings to the person who sponsored those! 

Sarah just came to pop into my room and she said she’d like a Bible to read, so I got 2 boxes out and we opened them to see what’s inside, it was a bit like opening a treasure box!  The children’s Bibles are really beautiful and I can’t wait to start reading to the kids!  There are English and Xhosa ones.

Tomorrow I’ll go to the Christian School again and we’ll see where all the Bibles will go.  I’m definitely going to use some for my teaching English classes! 

So, yesterday I had my first teaching session with the 3 boys(ages 14-17).  I really enjoyed it although I realized they were even more behind than I thought.  I just started to get a slight idea of how different their lives are to what people like me are used to or can even imagine.  At one point I asked them how many hours there are in a day.  They hadn’t a clue.  This is not something that has ever been important information for them.  Imagine growing up without TV, radio, phone, a watch, an alarm, a clock of some sort, not going to school….  Why would you be interested in what hour it is. You function with the sun, I guess.  I’m looking forward to getting to know the boys better.

I made my first experimental lentil soup last night (with onions, garlic, ginger, carrots, beefstock, currypowder, butter beans, tomatoes, salt & pepper), it tasted great, I’m so pleased!  It’ll definitely be a regular item on my Transkei menu. 

The other thing that I’m of course super excited about is my caravan that should be arriving by Sunday already if it’s God’s will!  En baie dankie aan al die awesome mense wat dit vir my moontlik maak!  Everybody who’s praying for me and sending me encouraging thoughts and vibes… Ma en Pa, vir al die goeters wat julle vir my bymekaar maak sodat ek niks kort nie!  Amiel, vir daai eerste stretch op die pad!  En Donovan wat hom al die pad verder gaan bring!!  Julle verstaan dalk nie heeltemal hoe dankbaar ek is nie…Baaaaaiiiiiieeeee!!!!!  Julle is almal awesome!!!  Xxx.

No comments:

Post a Comment