Wednesday, May 25, 2011

250511, Slight rewind

Okay, I have to REWIND a little bit.  Monday (day after we put up tent) Donovan developed a super wisdom tooth ache (started Saturday night already while he was driving). I finally persuaded him to let me take him to Zithulele to go see the dentist at the hospital.  It took some serious persuading, but eventually the pain won.  So, off we went in my little car with Johnny Clegg playing in the tape player and me enjoying the hilly scenery while Donny’s lying low in the seat next to me, clutching his tooth and not saying a word, but still checking that I don’t run over any sheep.

Hour later, we arrive to Zithulele and walk into the Reception to try and find out what to do. There’s a long queue.  I can see Donny’s ready to give it up and turn around, but I tell him don’t worry someone will help us.  So I phoned the woman I met last year who works in the hospital and she tells me we must get a card, fill it in and ask to bypass the queue cause we’re not going to the doctor, but to the dentist.  So I pull in front of the queue and ask the mama what we must do, she says we must get an ‘ikadi’ for R4 from the woman outside and come back.  We go outside and look for the woman, I’m thinking it’s a medical card of some sort.  There are a couple of people outside, I start asking randomly and feel like I’m a contestant on the “Amazing Race’.  Finally, I see the woman on the other side of the fence and she’s beckoning.  I go closer and there’s a little boy showing me a bucket with a water tortoise (Not sure if that’s what you call it – but it was in water and alive). Anyway I wasn’t really looking cause I was trying to focus on the woman who seemingly holds possession of the ‘ikadi’ and it turns out to be just a little A5 book to write in, just for some personal details and a stamp, so it means you’re registered.  We went back and were called to the front.  Everyone was looking at us, we thought, oh they’re annoyed cause we jumped the queue, but they were just curious and said that I’m beautiful, but yo the indoda! 

So, we were pretty lucky further as well, looks like the people here don’t have a lot of trouble with their teeth, everyone’s just going to the doctor.  So I had the pleasure to wait on the bankie in the hallway with the other people while Donovan went in to see the ugqirha wamazinyo.  I really loved every moment of it.  There was a chicken coming in and out, a mother dog looking for something and the people were just waiting.  One of the things I realized here, the people here don’t have a lot, but what they do have plenty of, is time. 

Donovan wasn’t in for very long, he’d taken too many Disprins, so they weren’t able to take out his tooth.  He looked rather relieved.  He’s supposed to go to the other clinic tomorrow.  We’ll see how brave he is…

Had another session with 2 of the 3 boys tonight, we’ve made progress, however slow.  We literally did the basic shapes, - square, rectangle, triangle and circle.  If you’re only starting for the first time to write at age 15, there’s a lot of catching up to do.  Every little bit of progress is a battle won.  For the other youngster I gave a book to read about the history of aeroplanes.  I have a feeling he’s just going to enjoy that quite a bit.  He asked if he could take it home to read, so I can’t wait till next time I see him to see what he thinks about it.  I have a good feeling about these guys, they’re going to do good things in life.

Ooh, the rain just started again and I really have to go to the loo now.  Don’t worry, I’ve got my warm boots and my umbrella.  Goodnight. 


No comments:

Post a Comment