Thursday, November 24, 2011

241111, Thursday, somewhere amidst a fat rain cloud


Feels like it’s been raining for weeks.  I’m sure that bridge will flood again any time now.  Thankfully I’m cosy in the caravan and not going anywhere today.  If I’d still been parked at my previous spot, I would’ve been having some problems again at about this time…  But, all’s good here, only one or two small leaks, nothing serious.

The kids finished their exams today and I’ve been marking some papers.  Mostly they didn’t do too well.  The problems can be ascribed to a variety of factors.  I reckon I’m also part of the problem since I’m not a trained teacher, but I’d say another major factor is that many of the kids really have a limited understanding of English and general knowledge of the world out there.  Things that seem like common sense to us, is like something from another planet to them. 

One of the questions in the Arts & Culture exam was to explain the word ‘collage’.  All of them said that it’s a place to study after school.  That just made me realize again how difficult a task it must be for them to cope with subjects given in a language pretty much foreign to them.  What chance do they have?  Also, they don’t seem to have much motivation to study very hard…

Other than the school business I’ve been dealing with the land issues.  As expected it didn’t come without complications.  The initial land that got allocated to me had some problems.  It had previously been allocated to someone else and I found out who it is and realized this person won’t be willing to give it up, although the story goes that if someone has land for 3 years and don’t use it, the community has the right to take it back. 

Anyway, so I talked to the headman again and with the help of a very good friend of mine, I managed to find another piece of land. It’s taken some days to sort it out, but today, in the rain, the community got together and decided that it was good for me and they marked the borders for me.  I wasn’t even there when they did it, but the word has spread to me that I have more than one friend that was standing up for me and making sure that things go right.  I feel very humbled to be blessed by friends like these and I wish to never disappoint them.  I am thankful to God for His favour and pray that he will bless this land and that everything here will happen according to His good and awesome will.  I am thankful and amazed at His awesomeness and all He asks from me is to trust in Him. I am hopeful and excited for the future that He has planned for me…

No comments:

Post a Comment