Wednesday, November 16, 2011

161111, Wednesday, land affairs


Today in Coffee Bay, there is no gas (haven't been for 2-3 weeks), there is no petrol (haven't been since last week) and no water from the tap (just today so far - luckily there is also a beach close by and it's hot enough for swimming).  

Today was also the day I had to meet the headman and the elders of the community at the piece of land, so we could discuss the final details and I could hand over the crates of cool drink, beer and brandy for their celebration.  That means they have decided that it’s all good and I’m allowed to use the land for development. 

We agreed that I have to pay for the fence and poles that is already on the land.  That actually suits me, cause that’s one thing I would’ve had to do anyway.   Then I had to give the headman his share and all that’s left now is the money for the chief and getting the papers from him.  After that, it’s getting the permit to actually be allowed to build anything on the land.  That one is going to need a lot of prayer. 

But for today I am happy.  Everything’s been going very smoothly and the elders are very happy with my idea for a library and eventually a place where the women can do their sowing crafts as well.  So they’re giving me a big discount on the money I have to pay for the chief.  That’s absolutely awesome. 

So if there is anyone willing to contribute anything to the library (which is going to be called “The Rainbow Reading Hut”, whether second hand books (easy reading – especially for children of all ages) or funds to help build the rondavel (it can be done at relatively low cost, around R6 000) please let me know… You can be a part of something absolutely awesome here in Coffee Bay!  There are no libraries at any schools or anywhere even close!!! 

(I would also like to eventually be able to build a volunteer hut for people coming to help, so I reckon if you contribute to the building of the hut, you’ll have a place to stay for free when you visit Coffee Bay…good idea?)

My email address is lavonnebosman@gmail.com 

2 comments:

  1. hey lavonne, dis rerig great wat jy doen! ek sal hopelik gereeld jou blog lees om te sien wat jy aanvang. sterkte en geniet dit. mag jou planne uitwerk. laat maar weet as daar iets is waarmee ek kan help.

    groete,
    'buurman' fred

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Freds! So lekker om van jou te hoor man! En dankie baie, jy moet maar so nou en dan 'n ogie gooi ja...en dankie vir jou offer om te help, ek begin al klaar dink jy kan dalk iets vir my design...dalk my rondavel aanpas vir maksimum leesgenot...of my hout cabin wat ek aan my karavaan wil bou...mmm speel solank bietjie rond met daai gedagtes! Mooibly!!!

    ReplyDelete