Friday, October 28, 2011

Friday 281011, back to school.



Amiel and Marisa enjoying the scenery (my brother and his wife)

My dad at 'Hole in the wall'

Had a lovely 4 days with my family, staying at “Hole in the wall” till Wednesday.  It was the survivor’s ultimate prize of the year.  First time in months sleeping in a walled room on a real bed and even having a real bath every night (and electric shower every morning)!

It was almost strange to have people I know and love around me all the time for these couple of days.  It felt like a strange dream at first and later like we were never really apart.  It takes time to really appreciate the significance of seeing my family for the first time in months after all this weird and wonderful things have happened in my life since the last time we saw each other.  I’ll miss them now even more.

We had crayfish and mussels fresh from the ocean and saw dolphins and whales jumping all over the place from our ‘stoep’ view.  We drove around and saw just about all the things I wanted them to see.  From the beautiful hills and valleys and the dense forest areas and splendid blue ocean and island-like beaches to the abundance of dogs, donkeys, horses, goats, cows and pigs to the humble yet noble Xhosa people of which are the wonderful bead ladies (and I am some more beads richer thanks to my mother and father!) with their bright eyed children and some of the eccentric and amusing local white people who live here. 

We had a great time and I think everyone really enjoyed it despite the initial ‘culture shock’ which was soon overcome.  I’m glad my family got to see this wonderful world that I am so blessed to be living in, despite the hardships and all the broken things that need fixing.

I must say, I don’t complain about being back at the caravan.  It’s home-sweet-home.  Buyana came around just as my parents were leaving and Aphiwe was also here soon after. It made saying goodbye easier and made me feel like I wasn’t being left behind all alone.  I’ve got my little ‘family’ here in Coffee Bay and I feel like I can still stay here for a long, long time.

The news on Mydog is not so good.  I had him at the vet last Friday and it was a rather traumatic experience on it’s own.  First the vet was an hour late, even after I phoned him 2 hours before we got there to make sure he’ll be there.  Mydog was in such pain and couldn’t even get up the steps.

Finally the vet looked at him and decided in about 10 seconds that he had a disease called Distemper, which is apparently very common in dogs and attacks their central nervous system, which could be fatal.  He got a couple of injections (and I had to give him two more the next day with the help of Buyana!) and other medicine and I was told he should show improvement in a week.  But today, a week later, I can’t say that I see any improvement.

 I’ve googled the symptoms and I reckon that it sounds more like a fractured disc that he suffers from.  It’s a bit of a problem, since I’m so far away from the vet and when I make the mission he’s either not there or doesn’t properly check what’s wrong.  And I certainly can’t spend that time and petrol money and vet costs every week in the hope that the vet can do something, cause seems that he can’t.  Now I think the dog needs to be put to sleep, but I can’t tell for sure.  I thought that’s why I went to the vet the previous time.  Now I’ll have to make that mission again and in the meantime Mydog is suffering…

Good news is Outsurance is replacing the camera as well as the lens that got stolen!  The lens just isn’t in stock yet, so I’ll have to wait until December when I see my parents in Bloemfontein before I can take proper photos again.  Looking forward to that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment