Sunday, October 16, 2011

161011, Sunday, thank God for the rain…



Another old pic...

 Ah, so the water that came back on, on Friday evening was only for the evening and the taps have been dry again since yesterday morning.  Today we had a teaser of about 20 minutes in which the water temporarily came back on.  Of course we never know when it’s going to happen or how long it will last.  Thank God I was actually here when it came back on and Buyana heard a neighbor rejoice that we have water again, so we quickly filled up the empty bottles and I started some washing. 

I was desperate for a shower, so left the second bundle to soak and grabbed my towel to head for the shower.  When I got there, the water had already stopped and the bucket I was filling to rinse the second load was only a quarter full…  I managed to wash those clothes too and rinse it all in the little bit of clean water as Buyana sat with his hands full of clay, waiting for me to finish with the water so he could wash his hands in it.  Then it started drizzling as well.  I think that might have helped for the washing that wasn’t extremely well rinsed out. 

Later the sun came out a bit and the washing got mostly dry.  I made a dall, lentil, chickpea curry type dish with Basmati and we happily munched away and swayed to our neighbors’ regular Sunday tunes (or should I say tune, cause they seem to have only one) blaring in the background. 

Apiwhe arrived and was just in time for the last helping of food.  Then the boys drew some pictures, read a little bit and I read a little bit for them.  Oh and Aphiwe tried very hard to get me to pronounce the Xhosa words: Bhala (write) and bala (count) correctly!  I tell you, I just don’t hear the difference but apparently there is a big difference…  Hope I get it right some day!

Then it really started to rain, so I got the bucket, tub and a couple of bottle filled.  Awesome.  That means I’m about as clean as I’m going to get right now, without a shower or a bath. 

That reminds me of my other two children, the little Fika and Snooks.  I saw them yesterday evening when I went to Jah Drum with my drum.  They were outside in the road and I invited them to come with me.  So we had a good time, taking turns to play drum and chatting. 

Later we got a bit hungry so we went over to Bomvu to share a plate of chips.  It was so much fun with these two, it felt for a moment like we were sitting in Milky Lane or somewhere, past their bedtime on a Saturday night (not that they really have a bedtime…) and enjoying each other’s company like a little family!  After the chips they wanted to go and dance a little so we went for a couple of songs.  Their mother works at the bar, so it was good to see her too.  Otherwise the night was ours…  Only three quiet backpackers sitting and enjoying the entertainment we were giving.  Snooks and Fika played with the microphone, testing it out and shouting ‘Kaboom!’.  At about 8 I reckoned we head homewards and I took the two little ones home.  I parked my car in the road below their house and watched them as they walked the last bit to the house. 

I reckon I’d like to appoint myself as their unofficial au-pair, just wish I had a functioning home to share with them. Although these two are probably the most advantaged kids in this village (Snooks’ English is already much better than most people here, much older than her), they still possibly have never even had a real bath and many other things we completely take for granted…

I wish I had so much money that I could have a house for these kids where they can sleep in their own warm bed and hot water and electricity to have light to see what they’re doing at night and clean dry clothes to go to sleep in and good hot food to eat and someone to read them bedtime stories.  That would be me of course… 

No comments:

Post a Comment