Thursday, October 20, 2011

201011, Thursday, snaky snake time…


Mydog, get better soon...!

It’s been a good and fulfilling week at the school so far.  I had some nice classes and definitely getting closer to some kids there, even the ones I feared losing because of their rebellion… I was able to share some good news from the Bible with them that lead to lots of discussion because of some of the words they didn’t understand before.  It’s sometimes difficult to judge their English knowledge, because they speak relatively well, but then you are too quick to assume they understand everything you’re talking about…

So I read for them one of my favourite and close-to-the-heart sections, Jeremiah 29:11-14.

“For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. 
Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me and I will listen to you. 
And you will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.
I will be found by you, says the Lord, and I will bring you back from your captivity.”

So we talked about the word captivity and prison and mental slavery, bondage and cuffs and shackles and eventually ended up with Mary Mary’s “Take the shackles of my feet so I can dance”…

Other than that I really enjoyed doing Robert Frost’s  “The road not taken” with them, something I’ve previously tried with my TEFL students without too much success.  So I’m looking forward to seeing tomorrow what they wrote about.  It’s great to get them thinking about choices and individualism and their morals in life…!  Even today we had a random class that ended up with them writing a poem about ‘inspiration’.  I quickly checked a couple of them and there were some really good ones!  I’m going to let them all write it over neatly and then we’ll choose a winner!

Oh, about the snaky snakes… I’ve been aware for a while now that a lot of snakes are going to start coming out now, as the summer dawns on us.  And I’ve been trying to mentally prepare myself for that, as I’m not the biggest fan.  I’ve seen a number of dead snakes already, two inside the campsite and others flattened in the road.  All smallish ones of about 30cm long.  All different kinds.

The other day while working in the garden, we discovered a little earthworm sized snake that we all found rather amusing.  It was really shiny and quite beautiful.  So we found out that it was a kind of worm snake, completely harmless.  This morning in our meeting one teacher told of killing a snake that almost got into her car. 

Today in class, the principal came inside holding a live snake, not big (a Red-Lip or something) and it was less than a second before all the kids stood screaming outside the door.  At least there are other people more scared than me.  It was rather funny I must say and I was glad to be able to study the snake from close-up to help getting myself acclimatized to the idea of coming face to face with one of them on my own.  Cause that is bound to happen sooner or later.  I live in a caravan after all and my tent is not exactly sealed.  Lots of open doors for a slithering being to freely make it’s way wherever he wants to.  I doubt Mydog is going to do anything about it.  So, when  it happens I’m supposed to just lift it with a stick and throw it back into the bush…  We’ll see how brave I am…

Other than that there are also these little black jumping spiders that are apparently poisonous.  They’re quite freaky.  The other day I saw one and wanted to kill it and the thing tried to attack me!  They have no fear these little rascals!  I’ve found quite a few of them around already.

More news is that baby Sezah is taking bold steps at the moment and is fast on her way to walking on her own!  Mydog is really not well again at the moment, he’s in great pain, so I must try to get to a vet in Umthatha tomorrow or Saturday.  Not looking forward to that really.  


What I am looking forward to, is my parents and brother and his wife arriving on Saturday for a few days’ visit!  I pray that they will arrive safely and without any troubles!  And let us have beautiful weather and plenty of crayfish! 

No comments:

Post a Comment