Tuesday, October 18, 2011

181011, Tuesday, Permaculture and Monday Mthatha mission...


A picture that I just really like...

I was blessed to be able to go on a Permaculture vegetable garden workshop for schools today and believe I have found a new (or perhaps it’s always been with me…) passion in my life.  I hope this is just the beginning of great and abundant veggie growth!

When I got back to the school, I straightaway got the grade 6-7s to help clean up the existing garden, which is not in the best of shapes.  I’ll see what I can do there, I really don’t have the experience, but I really, really hope that I’ll be a quick learner!  Most of the kids were a bit lazy at helping and in the end there were only four boys left who seemed to be potentially dedicated.  I don’t want to make any promises now but I hope we will transform the place. 

Yesterday was another day of fun in Umthatha.  I earnestly prayed that everything would go smooth in the city this time as I had a lot to do and can’t afford going there again soon.  It was a rainy day, so I took Mydog with me, this time made sure he was on the passenger seat next to me, just to be an extra deterrent to any tsotsi who had any ideas about robbing me or something.  Mydog was very well-behaved and patient and didn’t complain once.  I think he quite enjoys sleeping on the seat all day. 

I reckoned that I had enough petrol to get me to the Ultra City just outside Umthata and didn’t want to get petrol before, because the price is much higher here by the coast.  Anyway, can you believe it, I ran out of petrol just about 500meters ahead of the petrol station. 

I thought, great, this is a way to start the day, after getting up so early to be on time and everything!  So I schlepped to the petrol station in the pouring rain, got some helpful petrol attendants to get me a container, filled it with 5litre- I wasn’t up for carrying much heavier and schlepped back.

 As I was walking back, I thought to myself: ‘this is one of those moments when you want to ask God, is this now really necessary? Couldn’t You have protected me from this?’  (Even though it really was only as result of my own foolishness!)  Then the song: ‘This is the day the Lord has made, let us be glad and rejoice in it’  popped into my head from somewhere and got stuck there and I realized that  that it was indeed one of those moments where God is actually carrying me and my footsteps even felt lighter…and I had to thank God for letting things go so smoothly even though I thought it started so bad.

My first stop was the traffic department, which, let me tell you is not anywhere close to where the ‘Yellow Pages’ leads a person to believe.  So first, after asking about 10 people, I took a turn at the wrong department- where a kind security guard let me park inside although it was only allowed for officials.  Then after realising it’s the car licensing and not driver’s licence department, I saw that it was also the place for traffic fines.  So conveniently  I handed in my letter to ask for exemption from my previous undeserved fine and pray they’ll forgive me even though I said that the officer probably only fined me because I had a Cape Town registration number…  I should’ve left that part out perhaps.

The other department was on the complete other end of town and when I got there they said no, I had to come back the next day.  But I could get a temporary driver’s.  This all happened amazingly quick to my utter astonishment!   There was a queue, but I’ve learnt that in Umthata always ask someone, because the queue quite possibly had nothing to do with where you needed to go and indeed this was so, twice.  I could go straight to the front and the ladies all complimented me on my Xhosa skirt.

Next stop was the bank and there the queue was a torture again, but after 45minutes I had my new credit card and the most painful part of the day was over.  From there on everything went well and I got safely home at 6 to be welcomed by the return of my long lost caravan neighbour (who mysteriously disappeared one day) and the inexpressible joy of a hot shower, yay we had water and still do, two days in a row now whoohoooo!!!  Plus fresh rainwater to drink.  Super!

The other little thing that’s providing amusement to me these days very early in the morning is the rooster on the other side of the fence.  It’s first crow seem to be very close to exactly four a clock and then it allows an approximate 10 minute snooze period before the second crow.  After that I lose track a bit, because it’s really too early for me to pay that much attention.   

No comments:

Post a Comment