Friday, October 14, 2011

141011, Friday afternoon, no water again…!!!



 I’m sitting here with my greasy hair and I long for a shower.  It’s slightly on the cloudy side today and I’m not brave enough to face the seawater just yet.  I guess if by tomorrow there is still no water that will be enough motivation for me to go and dive into the sea…   My boys haven’t had water at their house for more than 6 days now…

I’m just reflecting on the kids at the Christian school where I teach.  Many of the kids seem to have a lot of issues and I’m finding it really hard to deal with it all.  This morning I had a serious session with them, reading from the Bible and praying and admonishing them to walk in the light.  It was probably the closest I’ve ever come to giving a preaching ceremony.  They all prayed fervently with me as well, so I really pray a difference will come in their lives…

Everyday there are fights among them because this one stole that one’s papers or pens or cell phone or whatever.  Yesterday someone stole my eraser from right under my nose.  All that was left was the little piece of cardboard that used to cover it.  They steal each other’s notes, doesn’t matter if that person wrote their name on it.  They’ll just scratch out the name so that it’s unrecognizable and replace it with their own name. 

Other than that, some of the boys are cutting themselves with blades and pouring ink into it, giving themselves home-made tattoos of prison groups and wearing studs in their ears and trying to get away with wearing as little as possible of their uniform, always armed with a dictionary of excuses.  It starts with the older boys of about 16 years and then the younger ones of maybe 13 years then imitate them.  Today we had a long meeting discussing how to deal with these problems. 

I think a lot of them also have learning disabilities or perhaps just no discipline at all to even try and study for their tests.  With the results that some of them do well, in the 70s and 80s, while others have an average of about 22. 

(A bit later now, evening 7:43, the water is back on thank YOU!)

I feel a little bit uncertain of how exactly to deal with these kids.  I feel like I need a place and time where I can see these kids individually and have sessions with them like a psychologist. 

Anyway, it’s weekend again in Coffee Bay and I wouldn’t mind a rainy weekend (there is some wild thun-----DER!!!! at the moment…..shoooo that one was dangerously close and scary…!), maybe then the hordes won’t pitch up for their weekly beach party. 

I walked on the beach earlier and there was a young Australian couple walking on the beach, warning me of the broken bottle glass that lies shattered on the beach.  I find that quite sad that DEAT (Department of environmental affairs) don’t seem to care about all the drinking that goes on at the beach or about all the illegal loads of sand that gets taken away here…  Come on guys!  Do something about it!

Ah rain sweet rain… 

No comments:

Post a Comment