Monday, July 25, 2011

250711, Monday morning, think happy thoughts

This river appeared at the campsite overnight and is yet to be named
I once thought that camping in the middle of a lake would be a romantic idea

There is no end in sight for when the rain will stop...
Yes, that is water coming from the inside of my tent


Right, so it’s 11:30 in the morning, I’m still in my pajamas (in fact I have changed into a second set of dry pajamas by now) and I’m sitting in bed under warm blankets typing this. My plans for doing my week’s washing didn’t really pan out so far. It’s raining. It started last night about 7pm and it has been raining LITERALLY NONSTOP ever since, with varying degrees of intensity… I think I can safely say we are experiencing a little bit of a flood moment right now. Well, I know I am. My neighbor didn’t go to his road-works job this morning. And I can see that the rest of the campsite is pretty much under water, which means the bridge is most definitely flooded as well.

I’ve been running around outside trying very much in vain to scoop countless buckets of water from around my tent. My caravan water tank is nicely filled up as is all other containers I had standing around. I didn’t see that I was making any millimeter’s difference by carrying away all those buckets of water. It was like single-handedly trying to empty out the ocean, bucket by bucket. So I gave up that idea. And came in to make some coffee and have a biscuit. I felt like sharing the situation with someone so here I am.

This is definitely the most rain in the shortest amount of time that I’ve experienced since being here. My tent floor (which Donovan raised for me the first time it flooded -with soil and covered with plastic- and which we felt pretty secure would do the trick) has now again turned into a floating floor, quickly sinking under swamp particulates. I’m not sure what to think of it.

I’m experiencing a bit of denial of the situation right now. Which is why I’m writing about it so lightheartedly. No really, I can’t see past the moment how this situation is going to play itself out. Either I’ll have to dig deep trenches all around my caravan and tent and build a big dam… Or I’ll have to move to another spot. That’s a sad thought, but perhaps I don’t really have much of a choice.

Right now it’s still raining with no end in sight and the situation could very well get worse. (No kidding!) As long as my gumboots don’t float away I guess I’ll survive. And thank God it is not leaking inside my caravan, I would’ve possibly lost my mind. So, I’m safe and dry in my caravan-island. People have survived worse things. I haven’t had to climb up a tree in order not to drown. A comforting thought is that I do have a tree next to my caravan in case it comes to that.

There’s a lot of really good drinking water going to waste here right now. And I’m sneezing, that can’t be good. I should probably go and empty out my containers again now, for what it’s worth, I don’t think much.

Yes, so it looks much worse now than an hour ago. Really nothing I can do except to take some photographs as evidence and look at the bright side. My car is certainly much cleaner now. And it’s still raining…

No comments:

Post a Comment