Monday, July 25, 2011

250711, Monday evening, enough of this wet and wild day...!

The water started coming into my doorway...

I'm really parked in a dam here...

It's just before 10pm now.  It's been hectic!  Crazy day!!! An hour ago, the rain  stopped for the first time in 24 hours.  Thank You God!  Just enough time for me to go out in the now-starting wind to try and get some tent pegs in...  This day was insane!!  I need a break!  

So I really started getting worried as i saw the water just rising and rising and getting much too close to coming into my caravan!!  I don't think it was made to float...  So I started frantically packing stuff together until the realization sank in that I will actually have to move and damn quick too!  Finally I went out to see who could help me in the pouring rain.  My neighbor peeped out of his caravan but went back inside just as quickly.  Can't blame the man, no hard feelings!

Thank God Kyle was brave enough to come and help and I got two of Leon's guys - Mawar and Vincent as well.  All angels!  Finally Leon came with his bakkie as well and we got the caravan towed a couple of spot further.  There aren't many other options to choose from here.  And the rain keeps coming!  I don't even want to think about this river surrounding us. This whole place could potentially flood.  Then I won't be the only one with the problems.

Anyway, so the guys helped getting the tent up again and put in the pegs...not too well I must say...and some important ropes got loosened.  All I wanted was to put on some dry clothes and eat something.  By 5 it's prettty much dark here and a cold wind started blowing today.  The bad part of my new spot is that it's directly facing the wild west wind...!  Just what I need to avoid (apart from the water...)  And my tent is leaking majorly now, perhaps cause it got wet on the inside, I'm not sure.  Well, seems like everything's wet anyway.

I rearranged the caravan a bit, earlier I just threw stuff in and tried to get my valuables like laptop and camera to a safe place in my car.  I was thinking, you know, anything could happen, I could just lose all my possessions tonight.  I felt a kind of peace about it, but would still like to avoid it if at all possible!

Can't use electricity or gas for now, everything's still a bit risky.  I came back from the bathroom and all of a sudden could see the sky through my roof.  Not a good sign!!  The top cover had blown off!!!  The thing I really don't want to happen, cause that means I'm completely exposed to the elements and the rain will come inside the caravan!  So I rushed out and tried to tie that down, I really hope I did a good job.  Man I wish Donovan was here today, but he'll be proud of me, well I hope.  I guess we'll see if I survive this night.  My hands are sore from the ropes and my nails are as dirty as a mole's...  My back feels slightly broken and I hope I can sleep semi-peacefully tonight.  

As I was tying down the ropes and putting in pegs, I thought of the disciples of Jesus the night they were in the storm on the boat and Jesus was sleeping.  It calmed me down...  I thought, hey Jesus, everything's all right isn't it?

Well, this might just be the beginning of the storm...

No comments:

Post a Comment