Wednesday, September 14, 2011

140911, Wednesday already.


The time is flying too fast this week and I haven’t had a moment to reflect, except perhaps in my sleep.  This getting up at 6:00 thing is something that needs adjusting to.  Perhaps it would help if I could go to sleep earlier, but that hasn’t worked out yet.  Oh well, I guess this too shall pass.  At least I’m quite enjoying everything.

My new little classes are good.  I’ve mostly spent time with the grade 8-9 s, their class is also the smallest.  Only 7 people, so I can get to know them relatively fast.   The grade 6-7s are 14 in the class and I can already foresee that they are most probably going to need the crowd control. 

I have the English classes to teach and also Arts and Culture, which I must somehow use to rehearse Macbeth with all 4 grades together.  It’s been a slight problem so far, cause of course their classes are seperate.  And whoever is in control of the schedule, just randomly decides that all of a sudden we must rehearse in the afternoon, while I’ve already got other private students for that time…  Well, I hope we can sort it all out peacefully. 

The rehearsals itself don’t go too badly, apart from the main characters that don’t really take their roles seriously at this stage…  I have to remind myself that these ain’t professional actors I’m dealing with…

Had a couple of good days with Buyana my new keen student.  Whenever I open my eyes he’s at my door.  He’s 15 years old and in grade 3, his brother is 11 and in grade 3 as well.  I can’t make out the story.  Our communication is very basic at this stage.  Probably he only started going to school a couple of years ago.  The 2 brothers also go to different schools for some reason.  I don’t know how good these schools can be, since they seem like really bright boys and eager to learn but they really don’t know much.  And their English is super limited. 

Today I spent about an hour with Buyana, looking at a world map, that my good friend Danica gave me when I left Cape Town…. (Dankie Danica!  Awesome stuff)  Anyway, I just wanted him to understand the difference between continent, country and city.  He had no idea about any other countries in the world except South Africa, or any other cities except Umtata.  I showed him how I flew with an aeroplane to Holland and UK and took a ferry to Ireland and Crete and explained how long all these journeys took. 

At one point he realized that all the blue was ocean and he was totally surprised.  And seemed quite interested in the concept of how long it would take by ship instead of by plane.  I think he got a faint glimpsefor the first time today of how big the world really is and was rather astonished.

He still speaks of himself as ‘you’, but I think he’s getting the ‘I’ and ‘ I’m’ thing slowly.  Also he did very well yesterday with our little ‘this, that, these, those’ session.  He now consciously reminds himself to say “this IS’, when I ask him what something is.  He’s learning! 

Today his brother came over after a while and I told Buyana to show him the map and tell him something he learnt about it.  So he was asking his brother questions and when I tried to help, he said, no, shhh.  So, he was actually eliciting the information from his brother!   Good stuff my student!

Oh yes, and I drew him 2 lorries, a red and yellow one and told him to practise red lorrie, yellow lorrie! (With good memories of my friend AndrĂ© Weideman who taught this to my dad’s parrot!  Amongst other things, he also taught the parrot “I believe I can fly!”) Anyway, R is really a challenging letter to pronounce for Xhosa people!  So, he also got his brother to practice that!

Yesterday afternoon we took a break from our studies and I showed the boys my pois (Those balls on ropes that you swing around in rhythmic patterns…) They loved it and Buyana insisted on taking my ipod along to the beach so he could listen to music while he’s playing with the pois.  (He loves the ipod and constantly wants to operate it and carry it around)

When we later returned it had started to rain a little, so I took them home in my car, they don’t live too far, I can actually see their house on the hill from my caravan.  Anyway, I dropped them off and Buyana must’ve forgotten about my ipod in his pocket, I did.  Until I got home and realized it’s gone. 

I thought, okay, that’s not cool, cause I love to listen to music in the evenings when I’m by myself and even in the morning. And the thought did cross my mind that he’d done it sneakily and on purpose although I wasn’t convinced.  (He does seem to love music and I can’t blame him for that).  And I thought, I’ll have to be a bit stricter from now on and not let him borrow it again and lay down some other rules as well regarding how much time we can spend together, cause if it depended on him he would probably just never leave.

So I was in my caravan, missing my music and slightly irritated cause I couldn’t listen to anything, when I heard someone calling from some distance: Lavonnie!  Lavonnie!  I went out and surely it was him standing on the other side of the fence, walked back all the way to me in the dark to return my ipod.  I was so happy and instantly forgave him for his troubles and the way he said sorry just melted my heart. 

I wanted to tell him to only come on certain days of the week, but he appears to have me wrapped around his finger, so I only told him he can come from 3-6 every day, perhaps earlier on Fridays.  And his little brother is also welcome.  I just find it refreshing to see kids so eager to learn.  My other boys have been MIA for too long now, still building their house and I’m tired of sitting around and waiting for them.  I think from now on, if they want to learn, they can come to me.  We get a lot more done this way, and learn in many different ways.  I can always give Buyana a little cleaning job or something to do which he does without complaining.  And it’s nice to now and then make something special to eat for the boys. 

 Mydog, feeling better.
 Yesterday, beautiful waves...
Today, since it was rainy again, I made Buyana and his brother pancakes, which they’d never had before and they loved of course, even though it totally flopped and didn’t even resemble proper pancakes!  It kind of felt like they could be my children as they sat by the little table in my caravan, drawing their pictures and happily munching their pancakes as I stood by the stove and ate mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment