Monday, July 30, 2012

290712, Sunday, Xhosa church


Was a sort of an interesting Sunday today.  We went to visit one of the local Xhosa churches this morning, really because Robin (and me) was interested to see the kind of message that got preached there. 

We first weren’t sure exactly where to go, but eventually found the place, a newly built mud-brick 8corner (octagon) house with only very few chairs and no people at first.  But we were assured that we were at the right place.  We were received very warmly and soon the women started singing so we joined in. 

Now that’s one thing about the Xhosa people.  They know how to sing and generally most people have very strong voices and just about anyone can lead a song.  Also, the songs they sing are quite easy to learn and very repetitive, so you can catch on rather quick.  Whereas us, white people, do not have such strong voices, well only some do, and the songs we like to sing are a bit more complicated, we really need to see the words on paper most of the time. 

So there we were, there weren’t a whole lot of people and all we were doing was singing.  (The pastor was running an hour late).  So, as I suspected, it was not that long before they asked us if we had any songs to sing (looking straight at me).  Now I know that I do have a few talents, but however much I enjoy music, singing unfortunately is not one of them.  But I knew it would just be insulting if I refused so I got up and tried my very best with Jabulani Africa, which not a single other person knew.  I have good memories of teaching this song to the kids in Zambia and they were still singing it when I returned a year later, but here it didn’t seem to go down all that well.  I guess every one just felt a bit too much put on the spot.  Anyways, glad my turn was over.  Robin did much better with her kids songs with actions and Matthew 19:26 song, With God all things are possible. 

When the pastor finally arrived, we kept on singing some more and then he asked Robin on the spot to please share the scripture of the day.  Luckily I think she always has something ready, so there she went.  After that the pastor came back and basically said what she said in Xhosa.  Then we sang some more, took up an offering and 2 hours later it was time to go.    It was special.

No comments:

Post a Comment