Tuesday, July 31, 2012

280712, Last week's news...sangoma student


On Wednesday 25th I became an aunt.  That is extremely good news for me and something me and my family have been looking forward to for a long time.  So, little Daniel was born, a good 3.9kg and what a beautiful little boy. I really wish I could just fly over to my brother’s house and go and see him right now.   But I must be patient.

What else happened this week?  Not that much.  I’ve gained a new student.  He just came by and looks like he’s planning to stay.  A sangoma.  So that’s been interesting. 

He says he’s also a Christian (apparently there are good sangomas and bad sangomas) so we’ve had some interesting conversations about that because if you are a Christian you can't at the same time be praying to your ancestors to bring about healing or whatever.  (A lot of people really are confused about what it means to be a 'Christian'.  Personally I can't say that I like that 'label' at all because of so many misunderstandings - largely associated with religion.  I'd rather just say that I follow Jesus.  Keep your eyes fixed on Jesus, not so  much on the people who claim to be Christians.)

God doesn't want us to pray to Him and then go and pray to other spirits or gods.  Jesus also said that we should pray to the Father (In the Name of Jesus).  Why would we then still want to go and pray through ancestors for healing or whatever, just because that is the tradition…?  It's like praying to the creature rather than the Creator...  The truth is that is why Jesus came, to set us free from that kind of bondage.  If we have Jesus the Son of God (who offered Himself once and for all and who is alive) what more could we ever need?

"for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved" ... Acts 4:12


No comments:

Post a Comment