Tuesday, July 17, 2012

160711, Stormy Wild Coast


It’s been a while since I’ve written.  I’ve felt a bit uninspired, perhaps because of the countless times I’ve been cheated with this building operation (and let me tell you it never stops!).  Also, last week I had an incident where an Ethiopian guy without a licence drove into my car and now well, he’s just walking away with no worries while I’ve got to deal with the damage myself.  This after the police officer was the one that suggested not arresting him because he said he could pay for the damage.  I didn’t believe it then and I believe it much less now, a week later and no word from this guy.  Even the police officer is useless in helping me find him.  Apparently he doesn’t have airtime to phone him.  Right.  What else?  Do I smell corruption in the air?

Anyway, my spirits have been boosted a bit by somebody who bought me a door for the Reading Hut and someone anonymous deposited R500 in my account, also for the Reading Hut.  Thank you people!  God bless you a hundredfold! 

In the meantime I had a guy putting up a fence for me around the Reading Hut and now he is supposedly finished.  But never in my life had I seen poles put in so skew…  The people walk past and tell me that my poles are sleeping!  Am I going to be relieved when this business is finished...

On Saturday night I went out to the Bomvu festival.  They had some mamas dancing, the Bomvu Tribal Rhythms Band playing and some Djs to finish off the rest of the evening.  I was there to enjoy myself with dancing and do a bit of a fire poi performance for the crowds (mostly other performers and locals), it was fun. 

The Friday night rained and I thought we’d have no rain that night, there were stars in the sky when I went out.  But sometime during the evening a strong wind came up and rain was falling.  Just before 2am I left and headed homewards.  As I drove into the campsite, the outside lights flickered and went out.  Pitch darkness.  I was still in my car and couldn’t even see my caravan.  Then the lights flickered on again for a second and was out again.  I got out in the wind and rain and ran toward where I knew my caravan and tent were standing.  When I reached it, nothing felt the same.  I walked into my chairs and and felt around for the zip.  I realized that my whole front porch section of the tent was gone.  All the poles and tent pens were out, even the extra rope I used for extra security.  It was all flapping on the roof of the tent. 

I went inside and tried to find the door handle.  It was so dark, I’ve never seen anything like it.  I found my little lantern and got a candle out.  There was no ways I could find my way to the bathroom.  The whole place was dark as a cave.

Later when I blew out the candle, it was so dark that I had to blink my eyes often, trying to figure out if my eyes were open or closed.   That must be what it’s like to be blind.  I was just longing for a little piece of light somewhere.  I couldn’t sleep that night.  I feared every loud gush of the wind to rip something apart.  My tent was flapping all over the place and my caravan was shaking like a washing machine reaching it’s final rounds

Electricity finally came back on this afternoon...  So thankful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment