Monday, April 23, 2012

210412, Good bye Willy


Last week Saturday (14 April), a much loved Xhosa friend from Coffee Bay passed away.  Willy worked at Jah Drums and was my drumming teacher.  He was a special sort of teacher.  He had this wonderful ability to let me know what to do without even saying a word, just glancing in my direction at the right moment.  He taught me to be patient and listen to the others before I find my own rhythm. He’d been sick for a while and on Saturday he passed away in hospital.  He was only 42… He was a good man and I already miss him. 

The past Saturday (21st April) was his funeral, which I sadly couldn't attend because I had to teach.  I went to the funeral 'after-party' at Jah Drums though,  and I must say it was really an incredibly special night.  We had a huge drum circle and lots of friends came from near and far to celebrate knowing Willy and pay our respects.  May he rest in peace...







Some of the guys joining the Drum circle... Jah Drums.

No comments:

Post a Comment