Monday, April 23, 2012

230412, Monday, general news update

One piece of good news is that last week I managed to secure a meeting with the councellor, whom I met at the orphanage opening a while back.  He was able to give me a paper that says that the piece of land was given to me by the community.  So, at least now I've got something!!  I have no idea how official the piece of paper is, it is not very clear.  For example, it just says that 'this land' was given to me.  It doesn't even give a clue as to where exactly the piece of land is, so that could be interesting.  Africa...

I'm currently waiting for sand, cement and poles to be delivered in the next couple of weeks, so we can start making progress with the rondavel again.

Johan, my tent neighbour, has helped me to temporarily fix my caravan roof, so that I can at least lift it up when it isn't raining. (Otherwise I have big leak problems).  I'm very grateful for being able to stand up straight in my caravan again!  Huge improvement.

Otherwise, me and Thobile have been working hard.  I'd say his reading and spelling has improved quite a bit in our first week.  It's been great so far!

As I'm slowly getting to know my new friends a bit better, I've discovered that my one friend is not actually from Bangladesh, but South Africa...  She is however married to a man from Pakistan.  Also Aquila the dog is not a Boxer, but indeed, a Boerboel.  I'm not sure if an English name exists for that sort of dog...

I had a really good weekend, as I was able to spend some good times with the people from Coffee Bay, especially at Willy's funeral after-party and  even  a spontaneous 'girls' night' that came about during the evening.  Just what I needed after starting to lose my mind a bit after too much isolation.  There are a few really awesome girls scattered around the area, reaching all the way to Bulungula, so it's really special when we all have a chance to get together.  Unfortunately one of the girls is already on her way back to the UK again today... But I reckon we'll meet again some day!  All the best Imogen, you're a star!

the girls

No comments:

Post a Comment