Sunday, April 1, 2012

300312, And then came the rain. Lots.


Well, well, well.  That moment of bliss didn’t last very long.  I’m glad I appreciated it while it was there. 

It continued raining all through the night and this morning at about 5am I woke up from a heavy downpour.  When I got up my tent floor was already wet on the one side, the water seeping in from puddles that formed on the outside.  A very unwelcome and by this time, too familiar sight. 

Well, it wasn’t long before the river broke it’s banks and came flooding down.  It rushed past and instead of stabilising, kept on rising until flooded the cement braai in front of my tent.  I was already packing things from my tent back into the caravan. Eventually, the water from the rover rose so high, it was inside my tent.  So I had water flooding me from a puddle on my left and from the river on my right.  I started worrying that it might rise even more and flood my whole caravan.

There was a point when I took my camera and laptop and some clothes and other valuables to my car for fear of losing everything.  One of those moments when you have little time to decide which material possessions are most important to you…  I was close to desperately finding help to take down the tent and moving the caravan.  Just then someone came and said that the river was going down again…  What a relief! 

In the meantime it continued raining and the guys had some troubles with the marquee tent of the wedding as well.  Water gathered on the roof and the whole thing was in danger of collapse with all the tables (already set the previous day) and everything inside.  Eventually they had to remove everything inside and take the tent down.  I thought there would be no wedding this day.  The bride and groom were both stuck on the wrong side of the flooded bridge.

But the brave groom walked over the mountain/hill in the rain to come and organise things on this side and later someone also brought the bride in a 4x4.  The wedding would continue.  I wasn’t really in the mood for taking pictures in the rain at this point.  All I wanted to do was crawl under a blanket and hide away till the sun came out. 

But I had to get to action.  I didn’t even have time for a shower and don’t ask me what I wore, I really hope no-one took a picture of me with my dirty hair and I was barefoot for most of the day, because one of my gumboots had a leak (can you believe it!)  and all my other shoes were wet. 

It was quite a crazy day and a crazy wedding.  The bride got dressed in a smallish room, there were about 15 people inside this room, bridesmaids and some just spectators.  I was worried the floor might cave in! 

But somehow everything worked out fine, lots of people squashed into a small space for the ceremony, some had to stand outside in the rain, watching through the windows, there just wasn’t enough space.  And at the reception a number of locals also pitched up uninvited and at some point I was even washing dishes as the plates ran out.  I was too exhausted to stay much later after that…

Today you can’t believe how high the river was yesterday. It’s as if it never happened.  I took my floor sheet outside to dry and carried everything outside again.  Now everything is back in it’s place and it was a beautiful Sunday.  Tonight I can sleep peacefully again. Happiness.  

Top: yesterday
Bottom: today


Top: yesterday
Bottom: today

No comments:

Post a Comment