Sunday, February 19, 2012

190212, After-party of a funeral

These ladies function as part of a human conveyor-belt, passing on hundreds of food plates...


This is where the dishing up happens

These ladies are in charge of washing the dishes

Another section of the plate - conveyor system

One of the mama-kulus


Some mamas in serious contemplation



200212, Monday - Earth day today?

Mmm, eating some pasta with my sundried tomato/basil/ oreganum/garlic/chilli, olive oil mix that I bottled some time ago.  Topped with some dhania from my garden, although I have doubts if it’s really dhania at all, tastes all too much like parsley.  Could they have made a mistake on the packet?  Anyways, it all tastes real good.

About the funeral gatecrash experience yesterday.  It wasn’t so much a gatecrash as that I just happened to be wandering past the ‘after party’(it was right at my neigbour’s house on the hill- from where I’m building the rondavel).  The music was playing and it sounded festive.  I was curious.  So I walked past slowly.  Till I saw some mamas I knew, who called me over and pretty soon mama Miriam was called (my itjommie yam – my friend) It just happened so that she seemed to be in charge of the whole catering side of things (and she seemed to know just how to organize things effectively) and she took me straight over to where the food was served and in no time I sat with a big plate of food, for which I was really thankful for, cause I didn’t realize up until then how hungry I was.  I was torn between the food in my plate, trying to keep it steady and out of reach of the hungry injas (dogs) standing around and my camera which I felt I had to take out and capture the colourful busyness that surrounded me.  I did get a whole spillage of oil on my skirt, but it was all worth it. 

Once again I was struck by some beauties of the Xhosa culture.  The younger women were all working together to serve the elders and make sure everyone’s got a decent plate of food in front of them.  And there were a lot of people.  And the food was tasty.  I almost licked the oil from my plate.  Only the really fatty part of the sheep I had to find someone else who wanted it. 

Thank you mamas for a wonderful unexpected and satisfying lunch… You are all beautiful! 

1 comment:

  1. You are definately the most unpretencious girl I know. With your humble heart and manners I am sure they were all too happy to have you there. Pity they all look so cross. Its years of hard work and worries on their faces, right? I am proud of you.

    ReplyDelete