Tuesday, February 14, 2012

140212, Valentine’s day




                  

I photographed these kids yesterday at their home...


I only remembered about an hour ago that it is Valentine’s day.  I guess I’m not really that interested. 

Anyway, had a rather bizarre and somewhat spooky experience this morning while I was still half asleep.  I was planning on going to the chief to try once again to get my papers for my land sorted out.  (Someone sent a message that I’m supposed to go).  I Arranged for the kids to come in the afternoon for their little class and everything. 

Last night I was woken up by some dogs barking and struggling to sleep again, with the result that I was not quite awake when I got up to go for a shower.  It was a little bit early and I didn’t notice anyone else out.

As I was about to step into the door, I heard what sounded like someone calling my name, in a rather deep man’s voice.  (It happens sometimes round here that I think someone’s calling me, but then it’s some other Xhosa word or something)  I wasn’t sure, so I listened carefully.  There it was again: “Lavonne”.  Perfectly pronounced.  I couldn’t imagine who I knew with such a voice.  So I stepped out and looked around.  There he was, a formal looking man wearing a very neat suit, hat and polished shoes, standing as though he’s been there waiting just for me to appear.

He was calling me: “Lavonne.  Come.  Come, Lavonne.  Come.” I was just staring at him, rubbing my eyes and asking him: “Where do you want me to go?”  (Thinking that he wants me to go somewhere with him) So he said: “Come here Lavonne.” 

And as I walked towards him, he asked didn’t I recognize him?  He sure looked kind of familiar, but I had no idea who he was.  He continued to ask me where I think we met and for the life of me I couldn’t remember.  I had to apologise for still being half asleep.  Eventually he told me that he is the chief, to which I was a bit surprised and embarrassed that I didn’t remember his face. Well, I have met him once before, but there were a lot of other men and he was sitting a distance away from me, so somehow I just didn’t remember that it was him.

I said, hey, I’m on my way to you!  So he said, no, I must rather come on Friday. So, I had to reorganize all my plans again, but I pray it’s all for good!  And he wasn’t there for me, but actually came to see someone else, just a coincidence and good memory on his part to remember me and my name so perfectly.

I decided to quickly go to the shop after that and buy some Boxer tobacco for Roy, my builder guy and his sidekick Bonga.  (Yesterday they stopped building just after mid-day, because they ran out of Boxer…)

So anyway, as I got down from the hill and back to my car, who comes jogging past, but the headman, himself.  (He’s been trying to avoid me a bit and didn’t want to come with me to the chief to help me get my papers the previous time – reasons to which I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt…)  So, I tell him that I’m going to the chief on Friday and ask if he’s coming with.  He agrees to it, on condition that I don’t take my friend and translator with – he’s not too fond of her – again because of reasons to which I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt…).  So, I agree.  So, on Friday, we’ll see if we can sort this thing out once and for all. I believe it might just very well be in God’s will that we do.  

2 comments:

  1. i'm sure it's a sign that things are starting to work out. good luck with the chief!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Freds! Still haven't got the papers, but don't give up hope!

      Delete