Wednesday, June 27, 2012

260612, A little more Reading Hut progress...!

This morning I got word that the men finally started thatching today and that they'll work very fast and will need more thatch by the end of the day.  So I went out to try and find someone with a bakkie that would be willing to help with the transport.  (It is rather difficult to find anyone, most people's cars are actually broken or they are just not interested in helping- even if they get paid)  

Anyway, Jesus was on my side today and I picked up Thobile and Ninti along the road (on their way to the backpackers, but then agreeing to help me load thatch) and then we saw a guy with a bakkie standing by the backpackers.  He was willing to help, for a fee of course, but we could leave immediately for Mama Gloria's house where she was busy tying the last of the bundles together...
Mama Gloria at work with one of the last bundles.

Securing a load to the bakkie.  
We could only fit 20 bundles and the guys had to go back for another 10 after this load..

The ever loyal and faithful Lucy, passing on small bundles to the thatch-man.  I was very happy to see her there when we arrived.  She was there out of her own accord and I know she helps me without even expecting to get paid...  She makes sure that everything goes right for me.  Her brother Joseph was also there to check that everything goes well and her other brother Roy (my builder) is also always ready to organize help for me when I give him a call.
Another person on the inside has the job of pulling through  the twine with a big wooden needle and tightening the thatch from that side.

The roof poles from the inside, hopefully the last time I see them without thatch...

Lucy, no lazy hair on her head and working with a big smile on her face.  God bless these people!  Everyone worked hard today...  

1 comment:

  1. Fantasties Lavonne! Dit is al amper 'n week later since die post...so ek glo die thatch is op?! Lyk beautiful! Laat weet wat julle ander needs is...paint/shelving/furniture...sodat ons kan probeer help?
    Sien uit om die eind produk te sien!
    Voorspoed!

    ReplyDelete