Thursday, February 21, 2013

220213, Mama Flo


This is mama Flo, or Florence.  She speaks pretty good English because of earlier years working in other towns and she's one of the Reading Hut's neighbors, a very special old lady.

  She lives almost right below the Reading Hut in a small room that she shares with several other people.  You can recognize her by her hunched back from far off walking up and down that steep hill several times a day.  

Sometimes, when the community tap is dry, I see her carrying two 5litre water bottles up there from the river. I see her standing still, bent over to rest, every few steps.  When I go to help her carry I ask her to hook her arm into mine so I can help but she refuses proudly.  She's quite a busy lady, at night she goes to the shebeen where she sells loose cigarettes.       

No comments:

Post a Comment