Sunday, October 7, 2012

061012, Back in the Bay!


Arrived last night just after 7pm in Coffee bay after breathing 21 hours of multiply recycled communal oxygen accompanied by the constant wobble of bus motion…  Apart from a splitting headache I survived and enjoyed most of the experience of our countries’  public shared transport.  It reminds you that you are really part of the big old family.

I was relieved at the relative ease with which I got a minibus taxi from Umtata.  I had some help from a lady who gave me a paper and told me what to write on it for where I wanted to go.  Also another young Xhosa guy happened to go in my direction and made sure I get on the right taxi.  It was the first time I listened to a rugby match in Xhosa.  Not sure what happened.

All the taxi people were very nice and took me straight to the following taxi.  My big suitcase got a seat next to some cabbages and there was an extremely cute baby that kept smiling at me.  I was real happy that the driver sped the way he did, cause I was feeling a bit nauseous and just wanted to get home!

On arrival back at the camp I was first greeted by our friendly night guard Ace, who also helped me carry my bags.  Aquila the boerboel was nearly jumping out of her skin to see me.  It was raining at this time and dark.  Electricity was off.  Well, there always has to be something here just to make things more interesting… 

I washed myself with a cloth dipped in a bowl of cool water (it was most welcome after all those stuffy bus hours) ate some Salticrax and went to sleep with a good dose of more headache tablets.  

This morning I woke with more light rain.  I couldn’t wait to go outside and see my plants and was pleasantly surprised.  Apparently I’m a better gardener when I’m not there.  Everything grew like monsters and my sweet rocket has sky-rocketed! 






No comments:

Post a Comment