Sunday, January 29, 2012

290112, Sunday, on the brink of a little change...


Had a great evening last night, a bit of an impromptu ladies' night reunion at Papazela's, just what I needed, thank you awesome girls!  You are too far and few between.  

Tomorrow is going to be an interesting day, I’ve decided to move.  I have the opportunity to park my caravan in someone’s yard, very close to where I’m staying at the moment.  And I’ve decided to do it, a change is as good as a holiday after all.   And I think it will be good.  The lady who stays there likes to do a bit of gardening and some crafty stuff, so I reckon we’ll get along smoothly.  She has also helped me a bit this week with planting my trees.  And so has Rene’s uncle who is also a camping neighbour of mine.  He helps out wherever he can.  Thanks Vince! 

Another thing happening tomorrow is a new little class I’m starting.  René, the 5 year old Afrikaans girl, staying in the campsite needs a teacher, and I’m it.  So I’ll be teaching her for 2/3 hours a day and she comes and hangs around at my caravan any other time of the day as well.  I guess this will change a little when I move.

I might miss having her pop in every 5 minutes, but I’ll also be able to focus a bit more on what else I’m doing.  I’m not going to miss my other neighbours,  who arrive drunk in the middle of the night and start talking as if they live alone on a deserted island.  I won’t miss hearing their grunting and spitting noises in the shower in the mornings either.

But René is quite a little character.  The first day she came around she was pretty shy and almost didn’t want to say a word.  That quickly changed and she turned into a big talker and a very funny little personality.  I had to chase her home a few times, cause I was afraid she was never going to leave.   Now I enjoy her company although sometimes I still very strictly have to send her home. 

She has a funny way of speaking, she can’t say her Rs, and she is afraid of frogs, so she says flogs (or she would have if she was speaking English, but actually she calls ‘paddas’ pallas – even though it’s spelt with d’s and not Rs)
And she’ll say cute things like ‘what is him name?’ – that’s directly translated from ‘wat’s hom naam?’

Anyway, little René is one little girl from another world that seems to be enjoying herself completely in this alien world where hardly anyone speaks her language or understands what she says.  But, she’s made good friends with Buyana and Aphiwe and has big conversations with them and order them around, all in Afrikaans.  Sometimes they even appear to understand her.  She goes swimming with them, join us when I teach them English, plays with them all the time when they’re around and joins us when we go to my land to plant trees or whatever.  She has become fanatic about ‘bush – wee-wees’.  I’m not sure if she ever uses the regular toilet anymore. 

Hopefully we'll get bricks again tomorrow to make some building progress!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment