Thursday, January 26, 2012

260112, Thursday, tree planting


It feels like not too much happened today, although a few things did get done.  Had a nice morning at school.  The electricity was out and the classroom way too dark, so we went to sit outside under a tree.  The kids had to make up their own verses of Amazing Grace and we read about Madiba and his school years, good stuff.

After that I rushed to meet Lucy and went to the chief’s house to get my papers for the land. The chief’s cluster of houses are very neat and some of the rondavels painted pink and green, reminds me of ice-cream.  There was a cute baby kitty that made itself at home on my lap and  a puppy and chicken who were sleeping close by.  I do love animals. 

Unfortunately the chief’s men couldn’t help us today since they haven’t heard anything from the headman, who might be avoiding them (and us) because he hasn’t taken them my money which he was supposed to do more than a month ago.  We’ll try again on Tuesday and hopefully get this thing sorted out.  On the way back I managed to get some fresh salad products- there’s been a lack for a while, so had a very healthy lunch today, yay!

In the afternoon Aphiwe and I borrowed a saw to cut off some branches to plant on my land. (Vince, my camping neighbour was sweet enough to dig two holes for me yesterday.)  Neither of us were strong enough to cut through the branch so I had to pay another skilled man to do it.  Now 2 branches are planted and someday they’ll be beautiful trees giving lots of shade on the hill.  Slowly but surely.

Thank you to everyone who lent a hand!  You are superstars!

No comments:

Post a Comment