Thursday, January 19, 2012

190112, Thursday, the new year


                                                 Welcome back in the Transkei!

View of the foundation of the rondavel, day 1.

I’m back!  I’m back, I’m back.  Sorry for been quiet for so long, but I’ve been away in civilization for a month and had to deal with some issues of the heart (in short I can say that this was one love story that didn’t work out too well – but the ending isn’t entirely unhappy, at least I have my freedom back...) Not going to dwell on that subject too long.

When I arrived back, about a week ago, I was met with a caravan that leaked very badly in my absence, with the result that I had to spend a good couple of days washing out half rotten and moldy sheets and things, cleaning cupboards and what ever, trying to create order again in my surroundings and my life. 

All is under control again now and I have settled back in.  On Saturday I had my first session teaching with the NGO and this week I spent a bit of time preparing for the other school to start again next week.  I have to do a lot of planning and make a lot of copies for the kids, since they don’t have handbooks and we have to create everything for them. 

Other than that, exciting things are happening.  I’ve got a good builder now, who has started with the foundation of the rondavel on my little piece of land.  (The rondavel that is going to function as a little library / reading hut) I can see the land from my caravan and the guys are working hard.  It’s going well, but could be going better, because I don’t have a bakkie to transport all the building materials like the cement bricks and cement, so I have to get other people to help me out when they have the time.  This is causing some slight delays, but we are keeping on.

Also, we have decided to make our own mud bricks (the cement bricks are only for the first 2/3 layers of the foundation).  So, the guys dug up the soil for that also today and now we have to organize for members of the community to come and make the actual mud bricks.  It’s just going to work out cheaper this way than using cement bricks or buying mud bricks from someone else. 

Let’s hope our cement and foundation bricks will arrive shortly!

When I was in Mosselbay on the way back, one woman gave me 4 big bags filled with some bedding, clothing, toys and baby stuff.  I was trying to think of a solution of how to fairly share it between the people.  Then I got the idea to sell it, but for very cheap, as in R2, up to about R20 for something.  This way the people would be able to afford what they want and only take what they really need and leave the rest for someone else. 

So I gave the responsibility to my friend Lucy, because I know she has a good business sense.  And then she can also make some money for herself.  So the one day I took her to her home with the bags and on the way we gave a lift to two other ladies as well.  These ladies wanted to see what was in the bag, so we stopped right there next to the road and one two three, all the contents were spread out on the grass and pretty soon there were about ten ladies browsing through and choosing what they wanted to buy.

Within half an hour, most things were sold and we left with only one small bag of things and said goodbye to a bunch of happy mamas on their way home to take welcome presents for their children and family.  I reckon we should start a little thrift shop…

I was of course more than very happy to see my little ones on the other side of the river and they were also equally happy to see me, and made me feel most welcome again..)

Other than that, it’s very hot here and a little bit windy, but one is happy to be able to go for a dip in the ocean.  I’ve already lost all the weight that I gained in the silly season out there in civilization, so that’s another good thing.

I’m also happy to have a camera again, although I haven’t made the best use of it yet so far, but I believe the time will come..! 

No comments:

Post a Comment