Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Reading Hut Roof-progress

Roy, my faithful builder (left), and his new assistant

Saturday's view of the Reading Hut

Some future Reading-Superstars!


Things are going well, apart from a few minor difficulties.  On Wednesday evening after dark, the counsellor’s men brought the long-awaited poles for the rondavel roof.  18 Very long tree stumps.
The following day I paid a guy R50 to peel the bark off the ‘trees'.  On Friday Bernie did me a big favour with his truck and took the poles up to the hill for me. Saturday morning at 6:00 am Roy and his new assistant started putting up the poles.  Now it is done!  I can see the poles it sticking out from my caravan. Exciting.  


Do you want to know about the mission I’ve had with the poles until now?  About 2 weeks ago another guy promised to go and get me the poles and asked me R500 for it.  A few hours later I saw the same guy in the street, completely drunk (with my money of course). Then he promised that he’d get the poles the next day. Yea right.  A week later I went to the police to send him a message that I won’t lay charges if he brings my money back.  The same day he comes back to me and promises to bring back the money and says that we can talk then about me giving him another job...  All this while being drunk again.  Well, I’ll wait until the end of the month to see if he’s actually going to bring back the money. 

(If anyone wants to make a contribution towards the completion of the roof, that would be tremendously appreciated... Thatch is going to cost about R2 000, then it's another R600 for twine and small poles.  Then labour costs as well.  Hidden costs always pop up too.
Bank details:  Lavonne Bosman, ABSA, Savings acc: 4298174879, Branch 632005)  Thank you!

Oh! And don't forget the books...xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment